Building, tweaking and supporting these images is a time consuming process, if you find it useful please consider shouting me a beer or a pack of crisps using the above link :)
Thank you to all who have donated, it is greatly appreciated and encouraging. These last few weeks have been hectic for me, but I will resume work on v1.4 after I have finished some personal business which will take another couple weeks. I am still passionate about joggler tinkering and this project is not abandoned. Thank you again.
The most current stable version of the image is: v1.3a
Joggler Ubuntu Netboot Remix Edition 9.10 v1.3a Image
This is a vanilla base install that will work completely off a usb stick without touching the standard O2 image.
Touch screen works fine, sound working, networking (wifi and lan) works via dhcp. The SSH server, NTP and Cellwriter (on screen keyboard) are all installed.
To get root access, login as joggler and execute
sudo su -
Then joggler as the password.
To use this image:
You need at least a 4GB usb stick that you are prepared to wipe. This will work on larger usb sticks but you will only have access to 4GB unless you create an extra new partition and add it to fstab, preferably using the UUID as the device/partition identifier. You can even use this method on an external usb hard disk. Remember, this will wipe whatever you have on your usb stick or external hard disk.
Download, check the md5sum then extract the tarball.
In linux or OSX do:
dd if=joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin of=<your_own_device> bs=10M count=365
There could be no output for a good number of minutes whilst it writes to your usb stick, be patient. The time it takes depents on the speed of your usb stick or external usb hard disk. It can take between 1 hour (usb1 speed) to 25 minutes. It may error at the end, do not worry, the important part of the image is in the first 3.8gb even though it is 4gb in size.
Example devices: /dev/sda or /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc
Warning: DO NOT blindly try these examples, you could accidentally destroy the wrong device (eg hard disk or another usb stick). This is a serious warning, be careful and if unsure ask for assistance. There are many ways to determine what device name your computer assigns to it. The easiest way is to connect your usb stick, check dmesg, then double check with fdisk -l
For Windows users:
There is a simple way to put the Joggler Ubuntu image on a usb stick, remember this will wipe the usb stick completely.
1. Download http://www.stephenford.org/joggler/files/v1.3/joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin.tar.gz
2. Extract the file (using winrar, 7zip etc) until you have just joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin remaining.
3. Rename joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.bin to joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.img
4. Download the Win32DiskImager.exe v0.1 program - v0.2 has issues
5. Unzip the file and extract the contents to a known directory
6. Run W32DiskImager.exe
7. Select the joggler_unr_9.10_v1.3a.img image file (.img)
8. Select the drive letter which corresponds to the USB key
9. Click the "Write" button to byte-copy the image to the USB drive.
- Fix Cellwriter annoying training mode
- Small 4GB usb stick issue "more" fixed
- Safe install script available
- Installed vim
- Fixed fstab
- Fixed on screen keyboard to start upon boot
- Sound working perfectly (no clicks, headphone and speakers)
- New EFI
- Installed Midori
- Install new kernel 2.6.31-20
- Remove old kernels
- Peg kernels
- Fix admin prompts
- Remove grub
- Install Google Chrome with flash tweak
- Install Google Touchscreen addon (Chrometouch)
- System fully updated as of 2010-04-30
- Screen/Window Size/Font tweaks
- Fix visudo
- credits.txt Added
- Vino VNC Server installed and enabled
- Removed Evolution
- Removed OpenOffice.org
- Prevent important packages being updated
- Lan configuration script added, no more dead beef cafe mac, multiple jogglers on same lan possible.
- Installed IEGD drivers (GL and Sound)
- Wireless drivers fixed
- WPA & WPA2 Fixed
- Screen saver and power saver to 5 and 10 minutes
- Speed increase over v1.2
- For safety blocked auto mounting of the jogglers internal memory
- Fixed security policy restart/shutdown issue
- Flash is ONLY installed for Google Chrome
- LAN *cannot* be managed by network manager
- LAN is configured by DHCP, with the same mac as wireless.
IMPORTANT FIXES TO APPLY AFTER WRITING IMAGE AND GETTING ACCESS TO THE JOGGLER:
Read this Post